ArtLinks ‘Breaking the Patterns’
Three month artist residency and work placement programme for emerging visual artists* in Seville, Spain
Call for applications
Brought to you by ArtLinks (Carlow, Kilkenny, Waterford, and Wexford Local Authority Arts Services), and led by Carlow County Council Arts Service under the Invitation to Collaborate Arts Council of Ireland scheme. ArtLinks are partnering with Capacity Ireland as part of a Creative Europe Project and bringing this exciting new programme ‘Breaking the Patterns’ by now accepting applications from emerging visual artists based in the above counties.
Our definition of a Visual Artist
*An artist whose art forms creates works that are primarily visual in nature, such as drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, design, crafts, text based work, printmaking, graphic design, illustrations, photography, video, film making and architecture.
Breaking the Patterns is a two-year programme with residencies, exhibitions, mentoring and professional development opportunities. This is the first open call within the series of opportunities that will be advertised over the coming two years.
The programme is designed to target, support and engage with emerging Irish Visual Artists, who may not have the means to develop their artistic practice due to barriers such as financial, social or not having the supports to do so. We are looking for emerging artists who are at the early stages of their careers, or who have just completed or are completing further education, or who are passionate about becoming an artist and would like to be supported to do so. This programme will foster and cultivate creativity through international European art residencies, dedicated artistic mentorship and professional development. This programme will support and be open to visual artists based within the within the ArtLinks region only.
Successful applicants to the programme will take part in a three-month artists residency in Seville, Spain from mid-April 2024 until mid-July 2024. Artwork which is completed during the programme will be exhibited in an exhibition towards the end of the residency. There is a total of six available spaces on this programme and applicants will be assessed within a competitive context. You do not need to know Spanish to apply to the programme
Successful artists, will be supported with the following resources:
- Flights to and from Seville
- Accommodation – your own private bedroom, shared living spaces such as kitchen, living room and bathroom with two other artists who are also part of the programme.
- An artist bursary of €1,500 for the three months and an additional €480 per month to cover living expenses
- Specialised mentorship from an artistic mentor, with guidance and support on how to organise an art exhibition.
- Access to studio space for the artist to create their work in Seville
- Exhibit artwork in an international exhibition in Seville at the end of the three -month residency and in Ireland at the end of the year.
- A part time artistic work experience placement within an established organisation in Seville
- Online training tuition in a Level 5 Award course in Entrepreneurship for European Creative Industries
- Weekly Spanish language lessons
- Travel Insurance for the duration of your stay
- Ongoing support from Capacity Ireland and local pastoral care from our Spanish partners for the duration of your stay
To find out more information and to complete your application form to the programme please visit the following link on Capacity Ireland’s website.
Artists must be registered members of ArtLinks. If you are not a registered member please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to check if you are eligible and complete the application form. Please put Breaking the Patterns in the subject line of your email.
All artists must complete the Capacity Ireland application form and submit a CV and portfolio to email@example.com.
If your application passes to the next stage, you will be invited to do two interviews, the first with Capacity Ireland and the second with the relevant creative partner in Seville. You will be notified within two weeks from your second interview, if successful for the programme or not.
If you have any further queries about the programme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application and guidelines can be found on Capacity Ireland website here –
Applications close: 15th February 2024 at 4pm
The ArtLinks partnership is supported by the Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon and provides professional development opportunities and support for emerging and professional artists who are resident in the four partner local authority areas in the South East region.